Google

Friday 31 August 2007

Not Enough Bad Medicine

As I sit here with my new MP3 on, Bon Jovi's "Lay Your Hands on Me" blasting into my earholes, the guys getting down and dirty with their instruments, I feel a passionate urge to set hairy-chested rocker Jon Bon Jovi, he of Slippery When Wet fame, straight on a thing or two.

I miss those guys. Yep, it's true, I really do miss them. I miss the days when they made records that sounded like they lived for rock 'n' roll ("It feels so good, it ought to be illegal" you sang). And where have all the cowboys gone?

What drives me to say this?

It would have to be the interview with Mr Jovi in The Guardian today. In it, he tells us he'd like to think his music has progressed rather than pandered to fashions or favourites. Well, I'm sorry to say that he's wrong on that score: the band has let their old-school fans down ever since Keep the Faith (their last great album IMHO).

These days - ever since the These Days album, actually- they couldn't sound more commercial if they tried, with the same tired old spiel about living one's own life, about survival, plus the sing-along-if-you-know-the-words lyrics. The Jove were very nearly "back" with Have a Nice Day, but it wasn't to be; there they were again with those lyrics!

Come on guys, rember the veterans! Don the cowboy hats -let Sambora down a bottle of whisky if he has to- and get some decent lyrics down, the type that sound as if they've been written on the road. Then blend them all with that brutal New Jersey sound.

Stop being pin-up boys and be the rock stars you once were. We'll thank you for it.You've seen a million faces and rocked them all! This is my personal plea for you to do it to us all over again - cos it was great!

No comments:

Post a Comment