Google

Wednesday 6 April 2011

Olden Goldies!

Are you struggling to get into today's music as much as I am?

The last good thing I heard was probably 'Cigarettes in the Theatre' by Two Door Cinema Club. That's about as 'with it' as I get when it comes to music. Hell, even now I sound like I'm punching above my weight (roughly 11.5st)!

If it's not a synthesiser-heavy classic from the 80s, 90s or early noughties, or not sung by a rocker with a mullet, I feel like I've been woken up by a fire alarm in the middle of the night. Which happened a fair few times in my first year at uni, incidentally!

But what I'd really like to ask you, though, is if there's a song that brings back a particular memory for you. Perhaps there's one from your childhood, teens or early adulthood that, for some reason, you can't get out of your head lately?

For me, it's 'What's Up?', by 4 Non-Blondes. Takes me back to one summer in particular, and it always seemed to be playing somewhere in the background. I was twelve years old at the time: I wore a shell suit and side spike. I still had a lot to learn about fashion...

Me and mates, we'd head down to the 'Tarzi' on our bikes and take turns to swing around on it above the beck (or 'stream' in non-Northerner speak). The rest of us, we'd all stand watching with baited breath to see if the rope snapped. I'm sure deep down someone was hoping it would snap on me (but it never did, so ha!) !

I think I'm gonna go out for a walk now - just down Memory Lane, though. So I'll leave you with my four brunettes from yesteryear for company.

1 comment:

  1. Hey, Peter, that's a great one! I'll adopt it.

    I like Bob Dylan. Sort of old-fashioned, huh? Well, I am an old hippy, after all. What did you expect?

    ReplyDelete