Google

Saturday 23 March 2013

Be careful what you wish for

Some people take to everything they do like a duck to water. Not me. I have to work at it (I get there in the end).

Some people sail through their exams without reading a word. Not me. I have to study, and study hard I do (again I make it).

Some people get all the girls. They only have to look at them and they fall at their feet. Not me. I've lost count of the times I've been a third wheel, a gooseberry, a (drunken) wallflower. 

And some people just have it all: gorgeous wife, good job, kids, a mortgage; everything society has taught us to want out of life. 

But you know what? It doesn't bother me. I enjoy my job and have money in my pocket. I don't mind the single life. I get on well with my colleagues. I have friends and family (all are well). I have hobbies.  

I have simple pleasures. Despite not having certain things or capabilities, I don't want what someone else has or wish I was like them. I celebrate their happiness in my head, and feel happy with my lot.   

The great Oscar Wilde said there are two tragedies in life: one is not getting everything you want, the other is getting it.

He was right. If you can be content, you can be happier. 

That puts me in a good place, then.

No comments:

Post a Comment